Tuesday, 7 September 2010

Chicago @ Aberystwyth Arts Centre

Every summer the Aberystwyth Arts Centre puts on its own professional production of a musical, and this year's offering, Chicago, stands up as a truly great piece of musical theatre.*

I'm no expert when it comes to musicals, not even on film, nevermind on the stage. However, it's patently obvious from the first note that this production, directed by Anthony Williams, oozes pure talent. I went to see the show twice, and was captivated both times. The leading ladies Shona Lindsay and Carrie Ellis both sizzle as catty, vulnerable jailbirds, with their supporting cast of merry murderesses dangling from their prison cells with sass and strength. My favourite numbers were the Cell Block Tango, The Press Conference Rag and Mr. Cellophane, but these stand out from consistently excellent numbers sung and danced to perfection.

This was my first time seeing one of Aberystwyth Arts Centre's summer productions, and I'm waiting with baited breath to discover what next summer's show will be!

Chicago ran from July 22nd to August 28th at the Aberystwyth Arts Centre.

*Okay, full disclosure. Yes, I work there. Doesn't mean I have to like everything, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment