Friday, 10 September 2010

True Blood : Season One

I've been wanting to watch True Blood for quite some time, and I've finally been able to, courtesy of my new flatmates who have much of the series on DVD. Having read the first couple of books by Charlaine Harris, on which the series is based, I had a rough idea of what to expect of the series, in terms of basic plot and themes.

What's wonderful about the TV series is how well it's adapted the source material. It takes the plot of the first book, steals elements from others and plays around with the characters in such a way as to make it even more exciting and more entertaining. The characters are all played to perfection, with all the cast well aware of the programme's inherent, off-the-scale melodrama.

My favourite characters so far are easily Sam, Tara and Lafayette, although I'm expecting to completely adore Erik once he comes into his own in season two. Somehow, bafflingly, I'm finding Sookie even more annoying in on television than in the books (and I'm generally not a fan of first-person narration like hers). Nothing to do with the wonderful Anna Paquin, of course, but she seems to behave so damn unreasonably with everyone that it's difficult not to be irritated with her.

I'm already a couple of episodes into season two, and the entertainment is not letting up at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment